Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Alabama Truffles

Well, I told you we would try some new recipes and food. This is my take on the Alabama Truffles that we tried at the Bistro last week. Let me say in the beginning that I believe a recipe is simply a starting place. I do not observe recipes strictly (which is why I am not a baker), and I don't measure everything in the ones I create. Cooking is, after all, an artistic endeavor.

I started with the grits:

Cooked grits (prepare as for 4-5 servings; they will keep);
1 cup Smoked Gouda or other cheese--grated;
Crabmeat, shrimp or other protein to stuff ;
1 or 2 eggs;
Panko Bread Crumbs (your may find on international aisle or in Asian markets).

Cook grits as directed. When the grits are tender and thick, add one-half to one cup of grated cheese depending on taste. I used Smoked Gouda. You can use some of the grits immediately or you can chill them in the refrigerator until you need them.

I took a heavy T. of cold grits and wrapped them around half of a large boiled shrimp because I couldn't find fresh crabmeat in Dothan. I shaped it into a ball---a little larger than a golf ball. Then, I dipped it into a beaten egg and rolled it in the Panko bread crumbs. I dropped the balls into a deep fryer and cooked until golden brown--two to three minutes. I removed the balls from the oil and drained them on a paper towel. As you can see, they held together well, and they were a nice color.

I served the Truffles with a homemade remoulade sauce--made to taste with mayonnaise, finely diced green onions and celery, minced fresh garlic, and ketchup. I like to use Duke's Mayonnaise. If you find it in your market, give it a try.

Tom thought I did well for a first try; however, he wants me to make it with crabmeat. Our top rating is "Good Enough for Gourmet Supper Club"--and we think this is a potential winner. I may practice a couple more times before we introduce it to GSC in March.

No comments: