As we approach the holiday weekend, I am reminded of the reasons we celebrate and the activities surrounding our celebrations. I've listed some of those below.
- Our flag. I love to see the red, white, and blue flag flying.
- Merry Old England. I think about England because our dear friends there always congratulate us, the colonists, on the occasion of our separation. Mighty big of them, I think.
- Patriotism. I am an American, and I am proud of it. When the going gets tough, we need to pull together.
- Fireworks. What's July 4 without fireworks?
- Barbecues. All across the country, families and friends will be gathered around grills to prepare their regional specialities.
- Hot weather. For us in the south, it's always hot.
- Patriotic music. Battle Hymn of the Republic, America the Beautiful, the Stars and Stripes Forever, This Land is Your Land, and God Bless America always stir my soul.
- Water. So many of us head to the lake or the beach for our celebrations. We'll be going to Tampa.
- Freedom. That's what this holiday is about, really. It is an opportunity to think about those freedoms we enjoy today.
- Our troops. How can we celebrate without thinking of the brave men and women, now and in the past, who fought for those freedoms!
- Watermelon and homemade ice cream. Is that just a southern thing?
- Family. We just like to be together for special celebrations.
- Travel. Many of us travel over the holiday, but maybe this year not as many. Whatever we do, let's be safe.
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants