- It's the little things, not the big ones, that will earn the respect of your people. Even taking the time to listen---really listen---is important.
- Change is good...You go first. The president at our college always says no one likes change except a wet baby.
- Accept your Limitations and You'll Expand Your Potential. That one is easy for me. There are so many things I cannot do--but there are probably an equal number that I can do.
- If your company mission is to climb a tree, which would you rather do: hire a squirrel or train a horse? This may be my favorite. It is so simple, and it speaks to the wisdom in playing to peoples' strengths.
- Attitude isn't everything, but it's pretty darn close. When hiring new people, Anderson says we should notice their attitudes, then ask "is theirs worth catching?"
- Customer service is not a department...it's an attitude. Is that ever the truth!
- Eat the Frog. Anderson says, "if the first thing you do when you wake us is to eat a live frog, then nothing worse can happen for the rest of the day." I'd say that's right! So, he says, we need to look at our to-do list, identify the frogs, then eat them first---and it's smooth sailing after that.
- Less is almost always more. Keep it simple.
- Wisdom is knowing the right path to take...Integrity is taking it. Integrity is not what we do as much as who we are. and who we are, in turn, determines what we do." (John Maxwell).
- A leader's job is to look into the future and see the organization, not as it is, but as it should be. Enough said.
- We aren't in the coffee business serving people. We're in the people business serving coffee. Yep--that's from Howard Schultz, founder of Starbucks.
- Quality is the Mother...And we don't mess with Mom. Quality is a core value in successful companies.
- Turn up the Fun-O-Meter. What companies comes to mind? Southwest Airlines. Google. A little fun at work is a good thing.
This is a good little book to share with your colleagues or your family members.
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants
Skywatch Friday city: Mexico City