I'm sorry; I just had a hard time with this week's theme. I just couldn't think of something "gross" to write about. I looked at all angles, but I just couldn't get it. I know some of you will be very creative, and then I'll have one of those "why didn't I think of that" moments.
However, I finally remembered that I have at least 144 bottles of wine in my collection. Does that count? Then how about
Thirteen Things I like about Wine
- Vineyards. I have visited one or two in the past, and I will be tripping to Napa in August. That's where it all begins.
- Labels. I love wine labels. In fact, I am drawn to purchase sometimes because of the label--or the name. Vintners know that, do they? Some labels in my cellar---Running with Scissors; Sixteen Hands; Red Truck; Jest Red.
- Corks. I save them and recycle. I make place card holders and trivets.
- Color. I love the colors of wine, and isn't it interesting that some of our favorite colors are named for wine--burgundy and claret, and champagne.
- Boxes. I love the box a case of wine is packed in. I use them to transport wine glasses, and they are great for packing books.
- Stemware. I just refuse to drink wine from anything else. I have some great acrylic wine stems that I travel with, and I love to pull them out at a picnic, or on the boat, or at a casual party.
- Bottle bag. I have this great Reisenthel Bottle Bag. Made of canvas, it has nine compartments. I can put four of my acrylic stems in it, a couple of bottles of wine, a corkscrew, a bottle of water, and a bottle of aspirin (which reminds me not to have too much fun)---and I'm ready for the party!
- Atmosphere. There's something about wine that begs for atmosphere, and sometimes wine is the atmosphere. Don't you feel special with a stem of wine in your hand?
- Cheese. To the old saying from The Rubiyaiyat, "a loaf of bread, a flask of wine, a book of verse, and Thou", I would have to add a wedge of cheese. For me, it would be a boule of Tuscan bread, an English Stilton, a montepulciano d'abruzzo, and Emily Dickinson's verse.
- The buzz in the room. I love the sounds in the room an hour into the party when the wine has put a glow on those gathered.
- Corkscrews. Have you ever seen so many kinds? Often, the simplest ones are the best.
- Wine quotes. I love wine quotes. Some of my favorites, and shortest, are: In vino veritas (Pliny); Wine is bottled poetry (RL Stevenson); I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines (O Goldsmith); and It is well to remember that there are five reasons for drinking: the arrival of a friend; one's present or future thirst; the excellence of the wine; or any other reason (Latin saying).
- Thou. See #9. Wine is best enjoyed with others.
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants